That article goes on to list their top 20 natural organic foods to “upgrade your [men’s] diet, strengthen your body, and help heal the planet.” I was expecting a list of foods and reasons why to choose organic options, but it turned out to be a list hyping specific brands. Some of their picks are still worth mentioning, thanks to their organic foods benefits. So I narrowed down the list to my top picks... from a man’s point of view, but not necessarily specifically for men’s health. In no particular order:
- Organic, farm-fresh eggs. Not only do they taste better in my opinion, they often come from cage-free farms where the chickens are treated humanely.
- Organic produce. Especially during the summer/fall months, finding organic produce is a lot easier than you might think. Just search out your local farmers’ markets. Not all produce is high in contaminants, however, so check out the Environmental Working Group's shopping guide to help you decide which organic options to select.
- Organic milk. If you’re going to drink milk, drink organic to avoid any potential growth hormones, steroids, antibiotics or other junk dairy cows may be injected with or fed. I have chosen to remove most cow’s milk from my diet and I feel great. I now drink organic almond milk or rice milk.
- Organic lunch meat. I love a good sandwhich, but I’m also trying to cut down on my meat intake as well. My compromise? Having organic lunch meat on hand for pretty much the same reasons listed above for buying organic milk.
- Organic cheese. My wife loves cheese more than I do, so I try to keep the good stuff on hand if possible. Our favorites are manchego and d' Affinois. Yes it costs more, but I like serving my family delicious cheese “without a side of hormones.”
- Organic Herbs and Spices. These are some of the cheapest organic foods you can get (especially when you buy them from swansonvitamins.com). So this is an easy switch, and you’ll probably find that the spices are richer and more flavorful.
- Organic oil. Whether it’s organic olive oil or coconut oil, or more exotic choices like organic avocado oil or organic sesame oil for stir fries, cook with pure, unprocessed oil as much as possible. The different oils will also unlock hidden tastes or complement tastes of your dishes.
- Organic wine. The health benefits of wine are debated, but most research finds a glass of red wine especially with all the antioxidants (and touch of resveratrol) can compliment a healthy lifestyle nicely. Organic wine assures you that your glass of pinot comes sans pesticides.
- Organic pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are one of the best choices for men’s health, thanks to their prostate health supporting nutrients. Men’s Health even picked Eden Foods as their example, one of the leading organic foods producers in the game. Their spicy pumpkin seeds are truly awesome. I have a bag at my desk right now!