- Berries: Blueberries, strawberries, cranberries and other fresh berries are loaded with antioxidants and essential vitamins, as well as fiber. Enjoy them alone or added to things like yogurt, cereal or in frozen sorbets. If possible, buy organic to avoid pesticides and to reap other potential organic foods benefits.
- Yogurt: Speaking of yogurt, this dairy product is known to support healthy bones, teeth and digestive systems thanks to its calcium and probiotic content. Yogurt is also a source of protein and potassium, and some varieties are even a healthy vitamin D source.
- Veggies: Green, leafy vegetables in particular offer potent antioxidant vitamins like vitamin A, C and K. Veggies like broccoli, spinach, collards and kale are also high in fiber, which helps support a healthy digestive system.
- Nuts and seeds: Organic raw nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios and even peanuts are great sources of protein. They’re like little vegetarian supplements of protein! They also provide fiber and antioxidants. Seeds like organic pumpkin seeds and organic hempseed provide essential fatty acids benefits from omega-3s omega-6s and omega-9s EFAs.
- Tea: You might not consider tea a snack, but green tea in particular can help maintain healthy metabolism and energy levels. It is also a heavy favorite thanks to its antioxidant load. Buy organic tea, replace the soda and enjoy a healthy drink.
- Salmon: Fish as an on-the-go snack? Smoked salmon can be taken anywhere. It’s a favorite among healthy hikers and campers, as well as those who recognize the importance of incorporating essential fatty acids in their diets.
- Dark Chocolate: I saved the best for last. Most people know by now that pure dark chocolate contains a good deal of free-radical fighting antioxidants. Just don’t go overboard. It may have lower amounts of fat and sugar than milk chocolate, but it’s still chocolate.
When you think of “healthy foods,” you might think of big dinners that seems like they take an eternity to prepare. In reality, making healthy meals doesn’t take any longer than preparing those less-than-healthy boxed dinners, statistics show. Healthy snacks are even easier and more convenient. These 7 healthy snack foods not only taste great, they’re super portable and pack a healthy punch.