As promised in my post yesterday, here is another hearty soup recipe that is sure to be a hit with the whole family. My favorite part about this recipe is that the pureed beans give the soup a thick, tasy texture that is good for you!
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
1 chopped medium onion
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
4 cups (32 oz.) fat free chicken broth
2 cups cubed ham
2 - 15 oz. cans great northern beans, undrained
1/4 cup tomato sauce
Pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot.
2. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add ham and garlic to stock put mixture.
4. Add 3 cups chicken broth, bring to a boil. Boil on low for 10 minutes.
5. In a food processor or blender, combine 1 1/2 cans of beans (including the juice) and tomato sauce. Blend mixture until smooth and add to stock pot.
6. Add remaininng 1/2 can of beans to the stock pot.
7. Stir to blend, and bring to a gentle boil over low/medium heat.
8. Simmer over low heat for about 30 minutes.
Serving size: 1 cup. Makes about 13 servings.
Nutritional information per cup: 150 calories, 4 grams fat, 16 grams carbohydrate, 13 grams protein, 5 grams fiber.