Blueberries are a remarkable super fruit loaded with beneficial antioxidants. Their deep blue color comes from phytonutrients known as anthocyanins. The wheat bran delivers fiber while the honey adds a hint of sweetness that makes you think this can’t possibly be good for you.
Blueberry Bran Muffins
1 ½ cup wheat bran
1 cup skim milk
½ cup applesauce
¼ cup honey
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat muffin tins with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together wheat bran and milk. Let stand for about 10 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, egg, honey and vanilla. Add the bran and milk to this wet mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter into either 12 regular or 24 mini-muffin tins.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
To preserve quality and freshness, I recommend storing them in the refrigerator and warming them before serving. I sometimes put them in snack bags and tuck them in the freezer too--that way they are always ready to go.